If you are experiencing a sudden loss of income or any other obstacles during this difficult time, you may find a resource listed below. This is a small sampling of the many non-profits serving the Houston community. For a comprehensive listing of services specific to your situation and location, you can call the United Way Helpline at 211.
This information should be current at the time of publishing. Please make sure to call ahead before traveling anywhere.
Multiple Services and Referrals
United Way runs a 211 Helpline that you can call at 211 or access online at https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/211. They can guide you to resources specific to your neighborhood and situation.
The Alliance of Community Assistance Ministries
Make sure to check that you are within the ministry’s service area, typically it is based on zip code. The assistance ministries provide support in a variety of areas. Please check the website for more information.
- Northwest Assistance Ministry
- Memorial Assistance Ministry
- West Houston Assistance Ministry
- Cypress Assistance Ministry
- North Channel Assistance Ministry
- Braes Interfaith Ministry
Pearland Neighborhood Center
Serving the greater Pearland Community with utility assistance, rent assistance, food & baby pantry, bread pantry and more.
Rent or Utility Assistance
Baker Ripley Central
Utility Assistance Hotline 713-590-2327
Must call to make an appointment. Assists with utility bills only.
Utility Assistance Requirements:
- Resident of Harris County
- Must meet the US Department of Health and Human Services Income Guidelines
- Proof of identity – Current/Valid Texas Driver’s License, Texas ID, US Passport, US Military ID or US
- Permanent Resident Card
- Provide proof of income for the last 30 days for all household members eighteen (18) years of age and older such as employer gross wages, Social Security, Unemployment, Food Stamp Award Letter, Retirement, VA Disability, etc.
- Provide a current Electric Bill – Reliant customers must provide their meter number
- Provide a current Gas Bill (If applicable)
- Electric and/or Gas Disconnection Notices (If applicable)
Salvation Army of Greater Houston
713-752-0677 (1500, Austin Street, Houston, Texas 77002) Rent, utilities, food and clothing assistance. Call in advance to insure funds are available.
You must live within the Harris County Appraisal District and be able to demonstrate loss of income, ability to maintain home after assistance, and financial need. Please bring the following documents to the appointment:
- Late notice, eviction notice or court eviction documents
- Lease (all pages include addendums)
- Bring two forms of ID
- Documentation of unexpected loss of income
City of Houston W.A.T.E.R. Fund
713-371-1400 (water bills only)
Gulf Coast Community Services
713-393-4700 (9320 Kirby Drive, Houston, TX 77054)
Rent or Electric Assistance Requirements:
- Must complete and submit an online or paper application
You will be contacted for an appointment after application is submitted and reviewed.
- During the appointment each neighbor is expected to complete a Service Agreement with a GCCS professional order to receive a rental or utility assistance. Service Agreements consist of participation in at least one ongoing class (ABE/GED, Nutrition, ESL, SSL, Business Applications, Money Management, etc.) during a two-month period.
- You must have an eviction or disconnect notice from landlord or electricity provider.
You must be a resident of Harris County.
- You must meet Federal Income Guidelines for poverty in accordance with number living in household.
My Brother’s Keeper
Provides partial financial assistance for rent and/or utilities.
Rent and Utility Assistance:
Individuals or families assistance is provided for a documented crisis, primarily for rent and utilities. Clients that are seeking employment may sign up to use our computer room for internet access. Also, they are given information on any jobs that they may have information on at the time of their visit.
School Meals and Food Distribution
Food Distribution Sites
Note: children do not have to be enrolled in districts to pick up food.
Beginning Monday, July 20, 2020, HISD will open 12 food distribution sites. Seven of those locations will be operated in partnership with the Houston Food Bank, allowing families to pick up several days’ worth of student meals as well as packages of produce — and other food items when available — for families.
The sites will be open Mondays and Thursdays throughout August 31, 2020.
- Meals are available for children 18 years and younger meals at any CFISD school listed; this is not dependent on where the student is enrolled.
- See curbside service pick-up procedures (effective 3/30/20).
Schools available for curbside meals: Anthony MS, Arnold MS, Bane ES, Cy Creek HS, Cy Lakes HS, Cy Ridge HS, Cy Springs HS, Danish ES, Francone ES, Frazier ES, Goodson MS, Holbrook ES, Kahla MS, Kirk ES, Matzke ES, Langham Creek HS, Thornton MS, Truitt MS, Walker ES.
Lamar Consolidated ISD
Lamar CISD offers meals for students from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Monday – Thursday until Aug. 20. Two days’ worth of meals will be provided on Thursdays.
- Beasley Elementary: 7511 Avenue J, Beasley, TX 77417
- Briscoe Junior High: 4300 FM 723, Richmond, TX 77406
- Fulshear High School: 9302 Charger Way, Fulshear, TX 77441
- George Ranch High School: 8181 FM 762 Rd, Richmond, TX 77469
- Lamar Consolidated High School: 4606 Mustang Avenue, Rosenberg, TX 77471
- Seguin ECC: 605 Mabel St., Richmond, TX 77469
- Terry High School: 5500 Avenue N, Rosenberg, TX 77471
- Kendleton Park and Ride: FM 2919, Kendleton, TX
These meals will be available for free for anyone 18 and under regardless of what school they attend. No paperwork is required. Meals will be provided based on the number of children present or if children are not present, please have one of these documents ready to show:
- Student ID
- Report Card
- Attendance Record
- Birth Certificate
This program will be solely for the pick-up of meals, and meals will not be consumed on-site. We encourage families to continue to be proactive in reducing the risk of COVID-19 by not congregating at the school site and utilizing social distancing once meals have been distributed. Individuals will not be permitted to enter any campus.
Legacy Community Health Care
CHRISTUS St Mary’s Clinic
2120 S. Wayside Drive (near I45)
Houston, Texas 77023
Sareen Harris Health Medical Clinic
8888 West Bellfort Avenue
Houston, TX 77031
San Jose Clinic
2615 Fannin Street
Medical Department: (713) 462-0535
Dental Department: (713) 228-5716
Educational Resources and Fun Activities
Prodigy Math Games
History for Kids
Amazing Educational Resources
Contains many links to free educational resources being offered as a result of school closures.