The Alliance of Community Assistance Ministries
Make sure to check that you are within the ministry’s service area, typically it is based on zip code.
The assistance ministries provide support in a variety of areas. Please check the website for more information.
Utility Assistance Hotline: 713-590-2327
Utility Assistance program helps families and individuals with payment of their electricity and gas bills.
Brazoria and Galveston County Assistance:
Apply online here
Harris County Assistance:
Apply online here
To request an application via mail or email please contact the Utility Assistance Hotline at 713-590-2327 or the United Way of Greater Houston Helpline at 2-1-1 or 713-957-4357.
Utility Assistance Requirements:
- Must be a resident of Brazoria, Galveston, or Harris County
- Must show proof of identity for all household members – current/valid Texas Driver’s
- Must provide proof of Citizenship or legal residency for all household members – U.S. Passport, U.S. Birth Certificate, U.S. Permanent Resident Card
- Meet the income requirements (click here to see income guidelines)
- Must provide proof of income for the past 30 days for all household members 18 years of age and older – such as employer gross wages, Social Security, Unemployment, SNAP, TANF, Child Support, Adoption Subsidies, Food Stamp Award Letter, Retirement, V.A. Disability, etc.
- Must provide a copy of electric bill
- Must provide a copy of current gas bill (if applicable)
- Covid Assistance
- Food Pantry
- Disaster Recovery
- Pregnancy and Parenting Services
- Immigrant Assistance
- Refugee Services
- School Counselling Assistance
- Women Veterans Services
City of Houston W.A.T.E.R Fund
The W.A.T.E.R Fund is a program administered by the City of Houston designed to provide financial assistance to senior citizens and others needing help with paying their water and wastewater bills. It is funded entirely through voluntary donations from customers, charities, and businesses and 100% of the contributions go toward assisting others. The City of Houston pays for all administrative costs.
The Fund assists low-income senior citizens (60+) who are residential utility customers of the City of Houston and live in a single-family dwelling. Limited assistance is also available to disable or low- income customers. Preference shall be given to those who have met the Federal (Health and Human Services) Poverty Guidelines for three (3) months or longer. Applicants can receive up to $100 every six (6) months towards their water bills. If the water bill is less than this amount, qualified seniors may use any remaining portion in the following months to pay those bills. At the end of six (6) months, customers may re-apply for further assistance.
Applications can be made to the City of Houston for W.A.T.E.R Fund assistance only.
Download the Exemption Guides here: DOWNLOAD FORM
Download the W.A.T.E.R Fund application here DOWNLOAD HERE
Return the completed Application to Customer Account Services by email: [email protected]
Applicants must fill out an application and provide complete documentation of income, identity, residency, and disability of all current residents in the household. It take 30 days to process an application. For a status update, please feel free to reach out via
City of Houston Back to School Backpack Distribution
Register your student(s) for the Mayor’s Back 2 School Fest Presented by Shell. The event will take place on Saturday, August 14th at the NRG Park Yellow Lot. Entrance will be on Main Street between Murworth Drive and McNee Road, Gate 16.
- Houston Area Women’s Center (HAWC): 713-528-2121
- Aid to Victims of Domestic Abuse (AVDA): 713-224-9911
- Family Houston: 713-861-4849
- Innovative Alternatives: 713-222-2525 133
- Parris Foundation: 713-315-6446 or email them at [email protected]
- Legacy Community Health: 832-548-5000
- Montrose Center: 713-529-0037
- The Source: 713-780-0030 (Galleria), 713-637-4141 (Spring Branch)
- Eddins Counseling Group: 832-324-2089
Educational Resources and Fun Activities
Prodigy Math Games
History for Kids
Amazing Educational Resources
Contains many links to free educational resources being offered as a result of school closures.
Food Banks and Pantries
Gulf Coast Community Services
- Food Pantry
- Rent Assistance to Prevent Eviction
- Mortgage Assistance
- Electricity Assistance
- Gift Card (household essentials)
Legacy Community Health Care
CHRISTUS St Mary’s Clinic
2120 S. Wayside Drive (near I45)
Houston, Texas 77023
Sareen Harris Health Medical Clinic
8888 West Bellfort Avenue
Houston, TX 77031
San Jose Clinic
2615 Fannin Street
Medical Department: (713) 462-0535
Dental Department: (713) 228-5716